Paying your fees

There are several ways of paying your tuition fees. If you've applied for a tuition fee loan, you don't need to pay your fees yourself – please just bring your assessment letter from Student Finance England with you to registration.  


If you pay your tuition fees in full at or before the point of registration by bank transfer, debit card, cheque, cash or Western Union, you'll receive a 2% discount on your tuition fees. (We accept credit card payments, but these do not receive a 2% discount.)

Tuition fee deposit

We ask some of our international postgraduate students to pay a £2,000 deposit. If you're required to pay a deposit, we'll inform you of this in your offer letter.

Find out more about the tuition fee desposit. 

Transparent costing policy

Transparent costing policy

The University of Hull believes in transparency regarding costs incurred by students studying for its awards. We will clearly identify mandatory costs which arise from undertaking a programme and/or its core modules.

The costs of all compulsory field trips and of all field trips at Level 4 (typically the first year) of a programme will be free of charge, as will any essential equipment. We will be clear in our information about necessarily incurred costs (e.g. living costs, accommodation, parking and so on) associated with studying at the University and will provide clear guidance in our information about what these are likely to be.

A further category is optional costs which may arise from particular module choices. Though optional, these costs may nonetheless be seen by students as necessary if they are to do well on a programme or to get the most out of it, and as such will be made transparent and easily accessible.

Payment methods

How do I pay by card?

We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Electron, Solo and Maestro cards for payment of fees using this facility.

Unfortunately, we do not accept the Chinese UNIPAY credit card as a form of payment. 

Payments can only be made in pounds sterling.

Pay by card 

Please be assured that your payment details are automatically encrypted when you enter them. This site is secured using WPM (WebPage Marketing) to offer you secure comminications by encrypting all data to and from the site. 

At the University of Hull we recognise that your personal privacy is a serious and important issue, and we support the principle of protecting privacy on the internet within the context of current UK legislation. 

You can find our online payment terms and conditions here.

How do I pay by UK bank transfer? 

Pay the correct amount directly into the University's bank account. Please quote your name and UCAS personal ID, applicant number or student registration number.

University of Hull bank details:

University of Hull
Jameson Street

Sort Code

Account number

Swift code

IBAN number
GB02 LOYD 3094 4403 0298 55

How do I pay by international bank transfer?

Western Union

Payment by bank transfer is our preferred method of receiving money from overseas.

This is not an online payment facility: you need to visit your bank branch or use your online banking facility to arrange the payment. It will, however, provide you with certainty as to the cost of the payment in your local currency, provided that the payment is arranged within the 72-hour timescale.

You will need your student registration number or applicant number and the exact tution fee payable in pounds sterling (GBP).

Once the online form has been completed, you'll receive an instant quote for the cost of your fees in your local currency. This quotation is guarenteed for 72 hours. 

The payment you make will be sent directly to the University of Hull bank account and, as the transfer is initiated in your local currency, you won't incur expensive bank charges. 

You will be sent an email confirmation as soon as the funds are received. 

For further information, see Western Union's guidance in English or Chinese, or watch the Western Union guidance video in the language of your choice:


Chinese students

You can pay in one of the following ways.


Using ChinaPay, students and parents can pay tuition online using their UnionPay debit card. 

  1. Using GlobalPay for Students, enter amount in pounds to pay
  2. Select ChinaPay option, creating a unique identifier
  3. Log on to the secure ChinaPay website and enter direct debit card information
  4. Western Union Business Solutions receives funds, converts them into pounds, and delivers them to the University directly - in full and tagged with your identifying information. 



Using CITIC Bank, students and parents can pay by walking in to CITIC locations anywhere in the Guangzhou area*.

  1. Using GlobalPay for Students, enter amount in pounds to pay
  2. Select Renminbi and CITIC option
  3. Enter payment information and receive instructions on where to make your payment at a CITIC location
  4. Western Union Business Solutions receives funds, converts them into pounds, and delivers them to us directly - in full and tagged with your identifying information.


*Due to Chinese regulations, the CITIC bank in-branch option is currently only available in Guangdong province. We plan to expand this offering throughout China as regulations change. 

Offline payment methods

Direct Debit (instalment scheme for full- and part-time students)

Full-time students

If not paying your fees in full, full-time students must pay in three instalments:

  • 50% of fee to register
  • 25% of fee on 31 January 2018
  • 25% of fee on 30 April 2018

Part-time students

Part-time students can choose to pay in full at or before registration, or in three, or eight instalments throughout the year. 

Three instalments 

  • 50% of fee to register
  • 25% of fee on 31 January 2018
  • 25% of fee on 30 April 2018

Eight instalments 

  • 12.5% of fee to register

Seven further instalments of 12.5% on each of the following dates:

  • November 2017
  • December 2017
  • January 2018
  • February 2018
  • March 2018
  • April 2018
  • May 2018

Important information for all students paying by Direct Debit

Applications have to be submitted online. Please note instalments can only be collected by Direct Debit under the University's approved scheme.

To be eligible to pay by instalments, you must have a UK bank account that accepts Direct Debits. If you are in any doubt please contact your Bank or Building Society.

Notifying you of collection dates and amounts

The account holder will receive an Advance Notification advising of the collection dates and amounts. If for any reason these dates or amounts are altered, you will receive a revised Advance Notification at least five working days prior to collection.

Cancelled instructions

If your Direct Debit is cancelled, any outstanding balance will be payable in full immediately

Paying with cheque or draft

Please make your cheque or draft payable to the 'University of Hull'. It is important that you quote your student ID number and name on the reverse of the cheque, along with the type of payment you are making, for example 'Tuition fees'. This can be returned to us at the address below, or in person to the Cash Office on the 2nd Floor of Student Central (Student Union).

Student Finance & Cash Management Services,
2nd Floor Student Central,
University of Hull,
Cottingham Road,

Post-dated cheques will NOT be accepted.

Paying with cash

We can only accept cash payments when presented in person at the Cash Office on the 2nd Floor of Student Central (Student Union). Cash should not be posted to us, either through the postal system or through our door. We cannot be held responsible for cash being lost in this way.

Under money laundering regulations, large cash payments may be subject to investigation.

We recommend you use one of the other payment methods.

Can I have a receipt/confirmation that I have paid my fees?

For a receipt, please email with the following information: 

  • Student's name and UCAS personal ID, application number, or student registration number
  • Date you made the payment
  • How you made the payment
  • Sort code and account number if applicable
  • Any other reference you might have

Please bear in mind that it can take up to 10 working days for the University to receive your payment, depending on the payment method used. 


I'm a sponsored student: what do I need to do?

If you're a sponsored student, you must produce written confirmation of sponsorship so your sponsor can be invoiced.

Sponsor letters must be in English, on formal letterheaded paper, and must include your name, address, UCAS personal ID/applicant number/student registration number, and reference to either the sponsorship amount in pounds sterling (£) or the length of sponsorship (i.e. first year/full course).

You'll be expected to pay the full tuition fee if the above requirement is not met, or if your sponsor does not meet the University's terms and conditions regarding payment of tuition fees.

Your sponsor will need to be a legitimate government or public body - funding from family members (even if through a business) is unacceptable, and you'll be classed as self-funding.

You must send your confirmation letter to the following address at least six weeks before your date of registration to allow us to contact your sponsor and confirm their details.

Student Finance & Cash Management Service,
University of Hull
Cottingham Road

Contact us
T +44 (0)1482 465674 / 466362

Monday to Thursday 9.00am – 5.00pm and Friday 9.00am – 4.00pm