Last updated on 11/25/2014 Print this page
MA in TESOL with Translation Studies
Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages with Translation
Full Time code:882619
Part Time code:882622
The MA in TESOL with Translation Studies is
designed for language graduates, ideally with either a teaching
qualification or some teaching experience, who want to acquire an
in-depth knowledge of English and how to teach it, but who are also
interested in translation theories and practice.
Students have the opportunity to examine the
theory, research and practical aspects of language teaching through
observation, reflection and practice, as well as examining from a
practical and theoretical perspective the nature and process of
translation. There is also an opportunity to explore the use of
translation technologies or focus on innovation in language
learning and teaching.
The MA/Diploma in TESOL with Translation
Studies is offered as a one-year full-time programme (course code
882619) and as a two-year part-time programme (course code 882622).
The predominant mode of examination on this programme is by
coursework and continuous assessment.
Gain Practical Teaching Experience
The MA TESOL at Hull is the only
mainland UK MA course to include a practical teaching component as
an integral part of the course. As such it allows
students from a variety of different backgrounds, from novice to
experienced classroom practitioners, to explore the role of a
language teacher in the modern world. Feedback on this aspect
has been overwhelmingly positive since it was introduced in 2012
and it has allowed the course to cement the connection between
practice and theory that lie at the heart of the
discipline. The staff who teach on the MA TESOL
programme have extensive national and international teaching
experience and undertake research into a variety of areas connected
with language teaching and classroom studies.
- Systems of the English Language
- Second Language Acquisition
- Approaches to English Language Teaching
- Dissertation research seminar series
- New Technologies and Language
- Teaching English for Specific Purposes
- EFL/ESOL Exams and Testing
- Specialist Translation Skills: Legal, Medical and Technical
- Specialist Translation Skills: Translation for Stage and
- Specialist Translation Skills: Translation of Persuasive
- Linguistics for Translators
- Issues in Translation
- Professional Translation Skills
- Lexical approaches to language learning
- Your personal statement needs to show an awareness of what
TESOL is and of the content of the TESOL degree at the University
- International students (language
If your first language is not English,
you will be required to provide acceptable evidence
of your English language proficiency.
All International students on this programme will qualify for a
bursary of £2,000.