School of Histories, Languages and Cultures

Want to spend a semester abroad as an exchange student?

Exchange students

Studying overseas as part of a University of Hull History degree

As part of the undergraduate experience at Hull, History students are able to spend one semester of their degree programme overseas. Broadening the mind by living and studying in a different culture better equips students to understand different societies in the past as well as in the present. It is also a chance to explore new places, pursue new interests and enhance you employability. Living and studying in a foreign country will help increase your confidence and demonstrate to potential employers your willingness to take on new challenges and learn new skills.

Where can you go?

Attending one of our partner institutions in Europe, the United States, Asia or Australia, students can spend the second semester of their second year studying abroad. There you will be able to enrich your historical experience by choosing from a range of modules at the host institution that may not be available at Hull. These modules once approved are then accredited to your degree.

At present, students are able to select from universities in the following countries:

  • Australia
  • Denmark
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong (agreement pending)
  • Netherlands
  • Poland
  • United States

We are actively working to increase the number of reciprocal agreements we have with overseas institutions and it may be possible for students to arrange an exchange with an institution in a country not on this list at present.

How much does it cost?

As these exchanges are reciprocal, there are no tuition fees at the host institution. Students on an exchange pay the regular annual fee for the year as they would here. You may also receive a moderate maintenance grant for out-of-pocket expenses (contributing to travel and accommodation) if you decide to go to a European (ERASMUS) university. On the other hand, you will need to pay for your own travel (the further you go, the more expensive that will be) and for your accommodation and living expenses. Of course, you have to pay for these at Hull too but you need to consider the cost of living in the country you intend to study in.

What do you do next?

If you are interested in studying overseas for a semester, you need to organise this during your first year. (It is too late to arrange an exchange at the beginning of the second year!)

You will be advised about exchanges during Induction Week at the beginning of your first semester at Hull and reminded about it in second semester when a representative from the International Office will hold a workshop on what to do. You can also approach the International Officer (Greg Bankoff) any time during your first year.

Exchanges are organised through the International Office and more information is available on their website.

In the first instance, you need to complete an Expression of Interest Form (link below) and returned it either:

Open / Download an Expression of Interest Form here:

  MS Word PDF
Expression of Interest Form Form Form
Factsheet Factsheet Factsheet

All students must research where they can or would like to go, and the modules available to them. They must then fill out an application form and course approval form which is signed off by a member of the History faculty.

Members of the subject group who are able to approve modules at overseas institutions:

Remember you need to choose comparable modules to complete your degree programme at Hull. In most cases, this will mean including a module on historiography among your selections.

The Departmental International Officer
Greg Bankoff
Larkin 048

or check out the International office's study abroad page.

Back to top