Last updated on 11/20/2014 Print this page
The Institute of Applied Ethics is the focus of
research in applied ethics at the University of Hull. The Institute
brings together complementary interests across the university in
ways that provide a supportive and creative forum for the
development of programmes and projects allowing for the empirical
grounding and rigorous theoretical input and interaction necessary
to research in applied ethics.
We interpret applied ethics broadly, as the
application of ethical considerations, reasons, principles, values
and ideals to any policy or practice (personal, social or
professional) for the purpose of evaluating that policy or practice
on ethical grounds.
The Institute has a number of interrelated
research programmes with an overarching focus of Ethics in
Public Decision-Making. There are three principal streams in
the work of the Institute:
Social Justice and Welfare
Environment, Conflict and Responsibility
Professional and Institutional Ethics
The aims and objectives of the
- The development of a group of related interdisciplinary
programmes and projects.
- Interaction and collaboration between established and less
established researchers, and between ethical, political and legal
theorists and more empirically oriented researchers across the
- Publication of high-quality books, articles and reports in a
large range of areas.
- Development and submission of applications for external
- Conducting conferences and seminars.
- Developing a critical mass of postgraduate students across a
range of programmes and projects.
- Developing materials for use in relevant courses and
programmes, and for the development of new programmes.
- Developing selected reach-out activities, such as consultancies
and short courses for practitioners, in order to demonstrate
- Developing appropriate external research links.
- Attraction of research visitors to programmes and
Call for associates:
The Institute welcomes individuals with
relevant research or teaching interests to become associates and
invites you to get in touch with us to let us know of your
interests and activities. We look forward to hearing from anyone
who has written on the political, ethical or philosophical
dimensions of their subject. Associates will receive communications
about research seminars, conferences and other relevant
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are
interested in becoming an Associate.
The Institute of Applied Ethics can be
found on Twitter!