Professor of Public Law
Director of the Institute of European Public Law
- Room number
LLB (Hull), Barrister-at-Law
Professor Patrick Birkinshaw has been a professor since 1990,
and has lectured at Hull since 1976. He is Director of the
European Public Law, and has been Editor in Chief of the
journal European Public Law since 1995. He has
written various books including Government and Information: the
Law Relating to Access, Disclosure and Regulation (4th ed.
2011 with M Varney Bloomsbury), European Public Law – the
Achievement and the Challenge (2014, Kluwer Law
International), Freedom of Information: the Law, the Practice
and the Ideal (4th ed. 2010 CUP), The EU Legal Order After
Lisbon (2011 ed with M Varney Kluwer Law International)
and Grievances Remedies and the State (2nd ed 1995,
Sweet & Maxwell).
Professor Birkinshaw worked as a specialist adviser to the
Public Administration Select Committee in its enquiry into
'Political Memoirs' in 2005/2006. He has acted as a government and
parliamentary adviser and has represented the UK in international
legal seminars. From 1997 until 1999, he served as a specialist
adviser to the House of Commons Select Committee on Public
Administration in its review of Government proposals, and its
Bill on Freedom of Information. Professor Birkinshaw is also on
the Senior Schemes' Assessment Board for the Irish
Research Council for Humanities and Social Science, which
allocates public funds for academic research. Between
2000 and 2008 he was on the Transparency Panel of NIREX and then
the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority.
- European Public Law I (Convenor)
- European Public Law II (Convenor)
- Law & Information(Convenor)
- Public Law and Administration
- Public Law and the Constitution
- British Public Law (Convenor)
- European Public Law I (Convenor)
- European PublicLaw II (Convenor)
- French Public Law (Convenor)
- German Public Law (Convenor)
Patrick Birkinshaw is an experienced and widely published public
lawyer. He is an authority on grievance remedial procedures in
contemporary states, secrecy and access to justice, freedom of
information, government and economic regulation and European public
law. His work has been influential in the on-going debate
concerning the complex processes of reform of these areas of
constitutional law and Public Law & Administration.
Professor Patrick Birkinshaw has published widely in Public Law,
European Public Law and Law and Information Rights including
transparency, security and secrecy. He has recently supervised PhD
theses on Human Rights in Europe, the EU Ombudsman and democracy,
Secrecy and fundamental rights, and what China may be able to learn
from the UK on protection of human rights.
Patrick is the Editor-in-Chief of European Public Law
, published by Kluwer
Law International (1995 to date).
- Birkinshaw, P (2014) European Public Law: The Achievement
and the Challenge. The Hague, Kluwer Law. 2nd edn.
- Birkinshaw, P & Varney, M (2011) Government and
Information: The Law Relating to Access, Disclosure and their
Regulation Bloomsbury Professional, 4th edn.
- Birkinshaw, P (2010) Freedom of Information: the Law,
the Practice and the Ideal Cambridge University Press,
- Birkinshaw, P and Varney, M (eds) (2010) The EU
Legal Order after Lisbon Kluwer Law International.
Chapters in edited collections
- Birkinshaw, P ‘Valuing Transparency in Government and Media’ in
Transparency in Politics and Media – Accountability and Open
Government eds N Bowles, J.T Hamilton and D.A.Levy (I.B Tauris
2014) pp. 48-72
- Birkinshaw, P ‘The United Kingdom in Europe and Europe in the
United Kingdom – an Indelible Influence?’ in Verfassung und
Verwaltung in Europa: Festschrift für Jürgen Schwarze zum 70.
Geburtstag. Prof. Dr. Ulrich Becker, Prof. Dr. Armin Hatje,
Prof. Dr. Michael Potacs, MinR Dr. Nina Wunderlich, eds ((Nomos
Verlagsgesellschaft 2014) pp. 15-38.
- Birkinshaw, P ‘Le Droit Public Anglais dans le Creuset
Européen’ in Traité de Droit Européen eds J B Auby and J.
Dutheil de la Rochere (Bruylant 2014) pp 761-784
- Birkinshaw, P (2012) ‘National Courts and European Union
Courts’ in European Disunion: Between Sovereignty and
Solidarity eds J.Hayward and R. Wurzel Palgrave Macmillan pp.
115 – 130.
- Birkinshaw, P (2012) ‘Like Canute – Pushing back the Waters of
the Incoming Tides. The Prospects for Re-inventing UK
Constitutionalism’ in The EU and National Constitutional
Law ed M Huber, Richard Boorberg Verlag pp.
- Birkinshaw, P (2011) ‘Regulating Information’ in The
Changing Constitution eds J.Jowell and D.Oliver eds (7th
edn) pp. 365-393 – new addition to the book by OUP.
- Birkinshaw, P (2010) ‘Grievances, Remedies and the State
Revisited and Reappraised’ in Administrative Justice in
Context ed M.Adler, Hart Publications pp.353 - 381.
- Birkinshaw, P (2010) ‘Goodbye to all That’ in Studies in
European Public Law: Thematic, National and Post National
Perspectives ed C.Kombos, Sakkoulas Publications pp.
279-300. Updated and extended to be included in a collection under
the editorship of Prof J. Schwarze (2012).
- Birkinshaw, P (2010) ‘Terrorism, Secrecy and Human Rights’ in
Studies in European Public Law: Thematic, National and Post
National Perspectives ed C.Kombos, Sakkoulas Publications pp.
- Birkinshaw, P (2010) ‘Transparency and Access to Documents’
in The EU Legal Order After Lisbon, eds P Birkinshaw
and M Varney, Kluwer Law International pp.229 – 253.
- Birkinshaw, P (2010) ‘Public Liability: European Influence and
Domestic Change with M.Varney in Studies in European Public
Law: Thematic, National and Post National Perspectives,
C.Kombos, Sakkoulas Publications pp.149 – 196.
- Birkinshaw, P and Kombos, C (2010)‘European Constitutional Law
– the UK: Repositioning the Debate – Departure from Constitutional
Ontology and the Introduction of the Typological Discussion.’
in The Emergence of European Constitututional Law ed
R. Arnold Sakkoulas and Bruylant, pp.35 – 73.
- Birkinshaw, P (2009) ‘English Law and Evidence Obtained by
Torture: Vindication of Basic Principle or Judicial Abnegation.
Implications of A(FC) etc v Secretary of State for the Home
Department’ in Torture and Terror eds T.Ward and B.Clucas,
Nomos Baden-Baden pp. 96-117.
- Birkinshaw, P (2008) ‘English Public Law under European
Influence’ in Bestand und Perspective des Europäischende
Verwaltungsrechts ed J.Schwarze Nomos,
- Birkinshaw, P and Hicks, A (2008) ‘The Law and Public
Information in the UK: Quality, Access and Re-use’ in Il regime
dei dati pubblici ed B.Ponti, Maggioli Editore pp.15-51.
- Birkinshaw, P and Kunnecke, M (2008) ‘Die europäische Frage im
Kontext der britischen Rechtstradition’ in Handbuch Ius
Publicum Europaeum Band II Offene Staatlichkeit- Wissenschaft vom
Verfassungsrecht eds A.von Bogdandy, P. Cruz Villalón and
P.Huber, C.F.Muller Heidelberg pp.107-141.
Articles in refereed journals
- Birkinshaw, P (2011) ‘Repatriating the UK Constitution’
University of Sapienza (Rome) in its Public and European Law series
Giustamm July 2011.
- Birkinshaw, P (2010) ‘Public Sector Employment in the United
Kingdom’ Il Lavoro Nelle Pubbliche
Amministrazioni 13(1) pp. 27-57 (Giuffre Editore,
- Birkinshaw, P (2010)‘ Freedom of Information and its impact in
the UK’ in Government Information Quarterly 27(4) pp.
312 – 321.
- Birkinshaw, P (2008) ‘The
Right to Good Administration in the United Kingdom’ Rivista
di diritto pubblico: Italiano, communitario e comparato n.