Health Insurance

Heart and stetoscope

All international students (non-EU) who are studying in the UK on a course of study of six months or more, qualify for National Health Service (NHS) treatment from the beginning of their stay, on the same basis as anyone else who is ordinarily resident in the UK. This means that you can access free NHS health care provision, and you can register with an NHS doctor – known in the UK as a General Practitioner (GP). Most GPs work together in groups, known as GP Surgeries.

You will normally register as an NHS patient with a GP Surgery, rather than with an individual doctor. You should register with a GP surgery as soon as you arrive in the UK – do not wait until you become unwell, as you may not be able to get the health care you need.

If you are in the UK for less than 6 months, you must have adequate medical insurance before travelling. You can still register with a GP surgery but will be required to pay for any subsequent consultations or medical treatments.

Back to top