Library and Learning Innovation

Image gallery

view on flickrSee the latest images on flickr

View slideshow

View a video of the demolition - Brokk 180 in action

The University of Hull can reveal the first images of how the biggest capital project in its history will transform the academic heart of its Hull Campus. Click the images below to get a larger view.

 

Reading room
© Mi creative production studio
  The Reading Room
The new Reading Room on the first floor of the original 1959 building restores this part of the Library to its former grandeur.  This large and imposing space provides an inspirational environment for quiet, individual study, with ready access to the new High Demand Collection located in the Reading Room.   The T-shaped mezzanine floor, from where there is a view down over the rest of the Reading Room, provides further study space and accommodates the Media and Reference Collections.  The main overhead lights are exact reproductions of the lights that originally hung in this area, reflecting the respect for heritage that has been a theme of the redevelopment.
     
Gllery space
© Mi creative production studio
  The Gallery
The ground floor of the original 1959 building, which contained teaching rooms prior to the redevelopment, is being converted into two stunning spaces.  At the front, facing the centre of the campus, there will be a new art gallery, designed to national standards for gallery space.  This will contain the University Art Collection, which will be moved from its current location in the basement of the Middleton Hall.  Adjoining the gallery, there will be a flexible exhibition and events space.  This might be used for temporary exhibitions, by academic areas wishing to showcase their research, for literary or musical events, or for receptions.  The whole of the ground floor of the Library will be open to all, positioning the Library as one of the principal gateways to the University for the wider community.
     
Example tower floor
© Mi creative production studio
  The Tower Floors
Floors 3 to 7 of the tower will be largely identical.  All shelving has been removed from the central areas and the open spaces created by this contain a variety of relaxed, informal seating.  Formal individual desks for quiet study are provided around the perimeter of each floor.  There is an information and resource point at the exit from the lifts, providing printing, photocopying and scanning facilities, self-service book issue, and quick information terminals.  Digital signage is used to provide further information about the use of the Library and its collections.  Bookable group study rooms are available on each floor of the Library, and the wireless network provides Internet connectivity throughout the building. 
     
BJL Exterior
© Mi creative production studio
  The South Elevation
The south side of the Library is transformed by the new atrium, entrance and cafe.  The atrium, which provides a striking solution to the challenge of properly connecting the two buildings that make up the Library, gives the south side an impressive wall of glass into which a new entrance is built.  This complements the existing entrance on the east side, which is retained and upgraded in the redevelopment.  The new 80-seat cafeteria on the ground floor of the tower will open out into the colonnaded terrace in good weather.  The area to the south of the Library will be completely re-landscaped.  The overall effect of these changes on the south side of the building will be to connect the Library with the west campus, enabling the building to fulfil a unifying function at the heart of the campus as a whole.
     
Ground Floor
© Mi creative production studio
  The Atrium
Our architects, Sheppard Robson, were faced with the challenge of properly connecting the original 1959 building with the 1969 tower.  These are currently joined by a narrow link at ground floor level, are at different levels at the first floor, and have no second floor connection at all.  The new glass-fronted atrium extending from the ground to the second floor provides an architecturally-striking solution.  It contains a new staircase and lifts to the second floor, replacing the current staircases at the east and west ends of the Library.  From the new staircase or lifts, it will be possible to step out into either side of a fully integrated building.  The existing lifts will only be used to take people from the second floor to the upper floors of the tower block.

 

 

 

 

Back to top