* Please note: the
information provided is provisional - please check our [departmental website] or
contact Programme Leaders for further information.
The MA in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other
Languages) with Translation Studies is designed for language
graduates, ideally with either a teaching qualification or some
teaching experience, who want to acquire in-depth knowledge of
English and how to teach it but who are also interested in
translation theories and practice.
You have the opportunity to examine the theory, research and
practical aspects of language teaching through observation,
reflection and practice, as well as examining the nature and
process of translation from practical and theoretical perspectives.
There is an opportunity to explore translation theory and practice,
and to focus on innovation in language learning and teaching.
International students have the chance to develop advanced English
language skills and study techniques in the one-semester English
for Academic Purposes module.
- Systems of the English Language
- Second Language Acquisition
- Approaches to English Language Teaching
- Postgraduate English for Academic Purposes (core for applicants
who do not have 7.0 IELTS)
- Introduction to Phonology for English as a Foreign Language
- New Technologies and Language Teaching/Learning
- An Introduction to Corpus Linguistics
- Teaching English for Specific Purposes
- EFL/ESOL Exams and Testing
- Postgraduate British Studies
- Specialist Translation Skills: Legal, Medical and Technical
- Specialist Translation Skills: Translation for Stage and
- Specialist Translation Skills: Translation of Persuasive
- Linguistics for Translators
- Issues in Translation
- Professional Translation Skills
You can also take modules from the other MAs within the
Department of Modern Languages or from other departments within the
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (subject to the supervisor’s
A good Honours degree or equivalent in a relevant subject or
appropriate experience in the professional environment.
International students (language
If your first language is not English, you will be required to
provide acceptable evidence of your English language
All overseas students on this programme qualify for a bursary of
Our TESOL specialists offer
supervision in many areas, for example, in linguistics, online
language learning and second language acquisition. For a complete
list of staff research interests, please visit the Department of Modern Languages
The Programme Leader for the MA in TESOL is Elaine
Other contacts: Andrew Cornforth, Ian Hutchinson.