Do you need to:
- Determine if your material/product is fit for purpose?
- Characterise your materials?
- Identify and rectify failures?
- Understand why a material has been contaminated?
- Improve product performance?
- Understand what your material is made of?
The Institute for Chemistry in Industry at the University of
Hull provides a commercial materials analysis service for
The Institute provide analytical services expertise for
materials research, troubleshooting, and quality problems for a
wide range of industries.
We have a flexible approach, tailoring our services to meet your
individual requirements along with those of your organisation and
What clients have used the Institute for Chemistry in
We work with companies both close to the University of Hull and
the other side of the world ranging from large multi-national
companies through to SMEs and start-ups.
Industries that have used the Laboratory include:
- Manufacturers: including paint, automotive components, heating
and ventilation, caravan and components
- Rubber processing
- Engineering and engineering services
- Marine surveying
- Plastics processing
- Construction industry
What techniques and instrumentation are available?
The Materials Analysis Laboratory of the Institute is equipped
with the following instrumentation:
- Mettler TGA/DSC1 Thermogravimetric analysis with STAR
- Mettler DSC with STAR software
- Nicolet Nexus FTIR with MCT detector, diamond ATR, specular
reflectance & diffuse reflectance
- Nicolet 380 FTIR with DTGS detector and Smart Orbit diamond
- WAS/Oxford Instruments Foundry Master Spark Emission
Spectrometer programmed for aluminium, cast iron, mild steel and
In addition the Institute has direct access to the extensive
facilities within the Chemistry and Physics groups which
- Scanning electron microscopy with EDX analyser
- GC and LC/MS
- ICP MS and ICP emission
- Surface profiling
Specialist NEBOSH and Masters courses
We run a range of specialist part-time courses, including NEBOSH
and Masters Degrees in occupational health, safety and environment
How can I contact the Institute for Chemistry in
Please contact Mr Ian Dobson, Consultancy Manager, on telephone
+44 (0)1482 466412 or email I.Dobson@hull.ac.uk