I have a varied and multidisciplinary background, including a
degree in Geography from the University of Oxford, an MA in
Climatology from Ohio State University and a PhD in Geology from
the University of California, Riverside. Since coming to Hull, my
research interests have become focussed on the political and
economic aspects of environmental issues, albeit usefully
underpinned by my natural science background.
- 16213 : Berlin Field Study (leader)
- 16282 : Environmental Management Principles
- 16382 : Sustainable Futures
- 16432 : Environmental Policy and Technology
- 16443 : Research Design (leader)
- 16447 : Waste Management (leader)
- 16491 : MSc Dissertation (leader)
- 35027 : Theorising Development
I am Programme Director of the MSc
My research interests relate to the following themes:
- Environmental policy, especially in waste related fields
- Critical appraisal of industrial ecology
- Environment, capital and the state
Environmental policy is a major theme in my
work. In particular I am interested in policy relating to waste
management practices and environmental technology. Through a
project entitled Sustainable resource management through product
design I am investigating the potential to radically increase the
use of product design as a point of policy intervention in the
interests of sustainable resource management. With colleagues in
Engineering, I have surveyed companies to better understand how the
design process works in industry and how environmental issues are
currently taken into consideration.
Current Postgraduate students
appraisal of industrial ecology covers two themes. First,
I am researching the policy implementation of industrial ecology
principles on a sectoral and/or supply chain basis, primarily via
extended producer responsibility regulations. This work draws on an
earlier project on the implementation of the End of Life Vehicle
Directive in the UK. The second theme is a continuation of my work
with David Gibbs on Sustainability and the local economy: The role
of eco-industrial parks (ESRC grant number R000239428). Our papers
and presentations (see below) are attempting to contextualise
eco-industrial developments in theoretical debates concerning
economic development (especially urban entrepreneurialism and
cluster policy) and the role of the public sector in the
implementation of sustainable development.
Thirdly, I am pursuing theoretical and conceptual issues
surrounding the relationships between environment, capital
and the state. Environmental protection is one of the
functions of the state under the sustainable development paradigm
of capitalism. I am interested in the emergence of this function in
the broader context of the state as a mediator between the
protection of business and public interests.
I am currently involved in supervising the following PhD
students. I would welcome the opportunity to supervise new
projects in these or other areas related to my research.
- Jalal Etriki. Analysis of Environmentally Sound Technologies
(ESTs) for sustainable municipal solid waste management in
- Qiaozhi Wang Knowledge Transfer for Cross-boundary Industrial
Symbiosis Development; A comparison of practice in the UK and
- Rui Zhao: Environmental risk management system design for
hazardous waste materials (first supervisor is Gareth Neighbour,
Department of Engineering)
- Muhammad A Haji Abdullah: Analysis of the applicability
of the socio-technical transition concept to the development of low
carbon transportation in Brunei Darussalam
I hold several positions outside of the department:
Google Scholar profile
I’m happy to provide copies of any of the following articles or
chapters on request.
- P. Deutz, D. Lyons and J. Bi (eds),
International Perspectives on Industrial Ecology, Cheltenham UK
and Northampton MA, USA: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- A-Jalil E.E., Grant D.B., Nicholson J.B. and Deutz P., (2016),
Reverse logistics in household recycling and waste systems: a
symbiosis perspective, Supply Chain Management: An
International Journal, 21(2) pp. 245 – 258 http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/SCM-02-2015-0056
- Boons, F., W. Spekkink, P. Deutz, R. Isenmann, L. Baas, M.
Eklund, S. Brullot, D. Gibbs, G. Massard, E. Romero, M.C. Ruiz, V.
Verguts, C. Davis, G. Korevaar, I. Costa, H. Baumann (2015),
‘Comparing industrial symbiosis in Europe: Towards a conceptual
framework and research methodology’ in P. Deutz, D. Lyons and J. Bi
(eds), International Perspectives on Industrial Ecology, Cheltenham
UK and Northampton MA, USA: Edward Elgar Publishing, pp.
- Deutz, P. and Ioppolo G. (2015) From Theory to Practice:
Enhancing the Potential Policy Impact of Industrial Ecology,
Sustainability, 7, 2259-2273; doi:10.3390/su7022259
- Deutz, P. and Lyons, D.I. (2015) Introducing an international
perspective on industrial ecology. In P. Deutz, D. Lyons and J. Bi
(eds), International Perspectives on Industrial Ecology, Cheltenham
UK and Northampton MA, USA: Edward Elgar Publishing, pp. 1-11.
- Lyons, D.I., Deutz P. and Bi J. (2015) Embedding an
international perspective in industrial ecology. In P. Deutz, D.I.
Lyons and J. Bi (eds), International Perspectives on Industrial
Ecology, Cheltenham UK and Northampton MA, USA: Edward Elgar
Publishing, pp. 228-233.
- Wang, Q., Deutz P. and Gibbs D. (2015), ‘UK-China collaboration
for industrial symbiosis: a multi-level approach to policy transfer
analysis’, in P. Deutz, D. Lyons and J. Bi (eds), International
Perspectives on Industrial Ecology, Cheltenham UK and Northampton
MA, USA: Edward Elgar Publishing, pp. 89-107.
- Deutz P. (2015) Issues and resources for transition: a personal
reflection. In Kneale, P. (ed) Masters level teaching, learning and
assessment: Issues in design and delivery. London: Palgrave, pp.
- Deutz P (2014) A class-based analysis of sustainable
development: developing a radical perspective on environmental
justice. Sustainable Development 22 243-252 http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/sd.1528/pdf
(published online Feb 2012)
- A-Jalil, E.E., Grant, D.B., Nicholson, J.D., Deutz, P. (2014)
Investigating Household Recycling Behaviour Through the
Interactions Between Personal and Situational Factors. In C. A.
Brebbia, C.A., Passerini, G., Itoh, H. (Eds) Waste Management
and the Environment VII pp. 113-124, WIT Press,
- Deutz, P. (2014) Food for thought: Seeking the essence of
industrial symbiosis. In Salomone R, Saija, G. (Eds) Pathways
for Environmental Sustainability: Methodologies and
Experiences. Springer, Switzerland. You can download the
- Zhao, R., Neighbour, G., McGuire, M., Deutz, P. (2013) A
software based simulation for cleaner production: A game between
manufacturers and government. Journal of Loss Prevention in the
Process Industries. 26 59-67. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jlp.2012.09.006
- Deutz, P., McGuire, M. And Neighbour, G. (2013) Eco-design
practice in the context of a structured design process: an
interdisciplinary empirical study of UK manufacturers. Journal
of Cleaner Production. 39 117-128. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2012.08.035
- Zhao, R., Neighbour, G. Han, J., McGuire M, and Deutz, P.
(2012) Using game theory to describe strategy selection for
environmental risk and carbon emissions reduction in the green
supply chain. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries.
- Zhao R, Deutz P, Neighbour G, McGuire, M. (2012) Carbon
emissions intensity ratio: an indicator for an improved carbon
labelling scheme. Environmental Research Letters 7
- Zhao R, Neighbour G, Deutz P, McGuire, M. (2012) Materials
selection for cleaner production: An environmental evaluation
approach. Materials and Design 37 429-434.
- Deutz P, Neighbour, G, McGuire M. (2010) Integrating
Sustainable Waste Management into Product Design: Sustainability as
a Functional Requirement. Sustainable Development 18
- Lyons D and Deutz P. (2010). Regional sustainable development:
Making development work in politically contingent space.
Sustainable Development 18 183-186.
- Deutz, P, (2010), Environmental impact of manufacturing.
In Wharf B., (Ed.) The Encyclopedia of Geography. Sage
Publications, Thousand Oaks.
- Deutz, P, (2010), Regional environmental planning. In
Wharf B., (Ed.) The Encyclopedia of Geography. Sage
Publications, Thousand Oaks.
- Deutz, P. (2009) Producer responsibility in a
sustainable development context: Ecological modernisation or
industrial ecology? The Geographical Journal 175 (4)
- Deutz, P. and Frostick, L.E. (2009) Reconciling policy,
practice and theorisations of waste management: Editorial. The
Geographical Journal 175 (4) 247-250.
- Deutz, P. and Gibbs, D. (2008) Industrial ecology and regional
development: Eco-industrial development as cluster policy. Regional
Studies. 42 (10) 1313-1328.
- Deutz, P. and Lyons, D.I. (2008) Editorial: industrial
symbiosis - An environmental perspective on regional development.
Regional Studies, 42 (10) 1295-1298.
Selected conference papers
- Kildunne A and Deutz P. (2011), An institutional analysis of
the sustainability transition in waste management in England.
Paper presented to the RGS-IBG annual meeting, London September
- Deutz, P. (2011), Ability of the state to
build a green economy and the impact on labor. Paper
presented to the 17th Annual International Sustainable
Development Research Conference, New York 8-10 May 2011.
- Deutz P, Neighbour, G, McGuire M. and Baxter H. (2010) Practice
and potential of eco-design for sustainable waste management: An
empirical study of UK based manufacturers. Paper presented to
the 16th Annual ISDRC Hong Kong, June 2010.
- Deutz, P, Lasaridi, K and Kildunne, A, (2010), Lost in
Transposition: reflections on ecological modernisation based a
comparison of the implementation of the EU waste policy in Greece
and the UK. Paper presented to the RGS-IBG annual meeting,
London September 2010.
- Wang Q, Deutz P, and Gibbs D, (2010) Intra- and
Inter-organisational Knowledge Transfer for Eco-industrial
Development in the UK Paper presented to the 16th Annual
ISDRC Hong Kong, June 2010.
- Deutz, P., Neighbour, GB and McGuire, M, (2009) From 'reqs' to
'specss: incorporation of environmental regulations in product
design. Presented at the 15th Annual International Sustainable
Development Research Conference Utrecht, 5-8 July 2009. Supported
by the British Academy.
- Deutz, P. Neighbour, GB and McGuire, M, (2008) Integrating
product design in sustainable waste management: Presented at the
14th Annual ISDRC New Delhi, 21-23 September 2008.