I completed my BA degree at the University of Manchester and
then returned to Manchester after working for a year, to undertake
my PhD, which dealt with spatial restructuring in the British
clothing industry. After a very short period working as a
consultant in London, I was employed as a research associate at the
Centre for Urban and Regional Development Studies at Newcastle
University. In 1985 I moved to Manchester Metropolitan
University (then Manchester Polytechnic) as a Lecturer in
Geography, and subsequently became Senior Lecturer, Principal
Lecturer and finally Reader in the Department of Environmental and
Geographical Sciences. In 1996 I moved to Hull to take up the
post of Professor of Human Geography and was recently Head of
I have also held visiting posts in the Department of Geography,
University of Cincinnati, the School of Earth Sciences, Macquarie
University, New South Wales, and Monash University, Victoria. I am
a member of the editorial boards of Local Environment,
Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Environment
and Planning C and NETCOM.
For a full list of publications, please visit my
google Scholar page.
- Gibbs, D and O’Neill, K (forthcoming) Rethinking
socio-technical transitions and green entrepreneurship: the
potential for transformative change in the green building sector,
Environment and Planning A.
- Gibbs, D, Rigot-Muller, P, Mangan, J and Lalwani, C
(forthcoming)The role of sea ports in end-to-end maritime transport
chain emissions, Energy Policy.
- Rigot-Muller, P, Lalwani, C, Mangan, J, Gregory, O, Gibbs, D
(2013) Optimizing end-to-end maritime supply chains: A carbon
footprint perspective, International Journal of Logistics
Management, 24(3), early view.
- O’Neill, K and Gibbs, D (2013): Towards a sustainable economy?
Socio-technical transitions in the green building sector, Local
Environment, DOI: 10.1080/13549839.2013.818954.
- While, A, Gibbs, D and Jonas, A (2013) The competition state,
city-regions, and the territorial politics of growth facilitation,
Environment and Planning A, 45, 2379-2398.
- Gibbs, D, Krueger, R and MacCleod, G (2013) Grappling with
smart city politics in an era of market triumphalism, Urban
Studies, 50(11), 2151-2157.
- Dibden, J, Gibbs, D and Cocklin, C (2012) Framing GM crops as a
food security solution, Journal of Rural Studies
- Gibbs, D and Krueger, R (2012) Fractures in meta-narratives of
development: An interpretive institutionalist account of land use
development in the Boston city region, International Journal of
Urban and Regional Research 36(2), 363-380
- Gibbs, D and O’Neill, K (forthcoming 2012) Green
Entrepreneurship: Building a Green Economy? Evidence from the UK in
S Underwood, R Blundel, F Lyon & A Murray (eds)
Contemporary Issues in Entrepreneurship Research, Volume II:
Social and Sustainable Enterprise: Changing the Nature of
Business, Bradford: Emerald.
- Koh, S C, Genovese, A, Acquaye, A, Barratt, P, Rana, N,
Kuylenstierna, J and Gibbs, D (2012) Decarbonising product supply
chains: design and development of an integrated evidence-based
decision support system – the supply chain environmental analysis
tool (SCEnAT), International Journal of Production
Research (available on-line).
- Jonas, A, While, A and Gibbs, D (2011) Carbon control regimes,
eco-state restructuring and the politics of local and regional
development in A. Pike, A. Rodriguez-Posé and J. Tomaney (eds.)
Handbook of Local and Regional Development, 283-294.
- Jonas, A, While, A and Gibbs, D (2011) The
new urban politics as a politics of carbon control, Urban
Studies, 48(12), 2537-2554.
- Dorfman, P, Gibbs, D, Leksmono, N, Longhurst,
J and Weitkamp, E (2010) Exploring the context of consultation: the
case of local air quality management, Local Environment,
- Jonas, A, While, A and Gibbs, D (2010)
Managing infrastructural and service demand in new economic spaces:
The new territorial politics of collective provision, Regional
Studies, 44(2), 183-200.
- Leksmono, N, Dorfman, P, Burnet, F, Gibbs, D,
Longhurst, J and Weitkamp, E (2010) Enhancing consultation
practices on Air Quality Management in local authorities,
Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, 53(5),
- While, A, Jonas, A and Gibbs, D (2010) From
sustainable development to carbon control: eco-state restructuring
and the politics of urban and regional development,
Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers
- Gibbs, D (2009) Eco-industrial parks and
industrial ecology: strategic niche or mainstream development? in F
Boons and J Howard-Grenville (eds.) The Social Embeddedness of
Industrial Ecology, Edward Elgar, 73-102.
- Gibbs, D, Holloway, L, Gilna, B and Morris, C
(2009) Genetic techniques for livestock breeding: Restructuring
institutional relationships in agriculture, Geoforum 40,
- Holloway, L, Morris, C, Gilna, B and Gibbs, D
(2009) Biopower, genetics and livestock breeding: (re)constituting
animal populations and heterogeneous biosocial collectivities,
Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers,
- Krueger, R and Gibbs, D (2009) Competitive
global city regions and ‘sustainable development’: An interpretive
institutionalist account in the South East of England,
Environment and Planning A 42(4), 821-837.
- Gibbs, D (2008) Industrial symbiosis and
eco-industrial development: An introduction, Geography
Compass, 2/4, 1138-1154.
- Gibbs, D (2008) Sustainable entrepreneurs,
ecopreneurs and the development of a sustainable economy,
Greener Management International, 55, 62-77.
- Krueger, R and Gibbs, D (2008) Third wave
sustainability? Sustainable development, smart growth and
regional development in the US, Regional Studies, 42,
- McManus, P and Gibbs, D (2008) Industrial
Ecosystems? The Use of Tropes in the Industrial Ecology and
Eco-Industrial Park Literature, Progress in
Human Geography 32(4) 525-540.
- Cocklin, C, Dibden, J and Gibbs, D (2008) Competitiveness
versus ‘clean and green’? The regulation and governance of GMOs in
Australia and the UK, Geoforum, 39(1), 161-173.
- Deutz, P and Gibbs, D (2008) Industrial ecology and regional
development: Eco-industrial development as cluster policy,
Regional Studies, 42, 1313-1327.