English language requirements

If you require a Tier 4 student visa to study or your first language is not English you will be required to provide acceptable evidence of your English language proficiency level.

Students who need a Tier 4 visa to study a pre-sessional English language course must have a Secure English Language Test (SELT) approved by the Home Office for entry to the course.

For degree entry we accept other evidence, please see

Please see the list of the English language proficiency qualifications recognised by the University of Hull (updated January 2017).

Any evidence/tests that are not on the University of Hull's list will not be accepted from applicants who need a Tier 4 visa. There are some tests listed by the Home Office that the University of Hull does not accept.

Applicants with EU nationality, or those who do not require a Tier 4 Visa, can be considered with alternative English language proficiency evidence for degree entry.

The English language requirement for each of our programmes can be viewed on the appropriate subject page on the University's website.

If you are issued with a Tier 4 CAS and then decide to take a pre-sessional English programme in the UK, or a further English language test, please be aware that the University policy is to accept the most recent English test that you have taken as evidence of your English proficiency for visa purposes. If the results of your latest test are lower than the English test results included in your CAS statement, the University reserves the right to review your offer for degree admission.

Back to top