Applying for postgraduate programmes

  • Choose a course
  • Apply
  • Research proposal
  • Get help
  • What happens next
  • International

Choose a course

Explore our postgraduate taught and research programmes on the course pages.

If you are interested in doing a Masters by research or a PhD, take a look at our areas of expertise and research themes.

You can also download our postgraduate brochures to find out more about your subject area.

Entry requirements

Our entry requirements can be found on the course pages. For international students, find your entry requirements on the country specific pages and also check the English language requirements.

We consider a wide range of UK and international qualifications and experiences so please always check with us if your qualifications are different to the ones listed on our website.

Support and study facilities

As a postgraduate student at Hull, you have access to excellent facilities and support. You will be able to develop your research skills and gain transferable skills by completing our Postgraduate Training Scheme. Our Graduate School offers specialist facilities that are available 24 hours a day as well as dedicated administrative support. The beautifully renovated Brynmor Jones Library is another perfect place to study and socialise, and PhD students have VIP access to the Postgraduate Lounge . To meet new people, we also recommend you join the Postgraduate Society and take part in its many social activities.


Applying online is the quickest and easiest method for postgraduates. This also allows you to review the progress of your application after it has been submitted. To apply, follow the steps below.

The process of applying is different for the Postgraduate Certificate in Education and the MA in Social Work. Please see instructions further down this page.

Step 1

Create an account in MyAdmin.

(If you are a current student at Hull, skip this step and instead use your student account to log in.)

Step 2

Activate your account and set your password. An activation code will be sent to you by email.

Step 3

Complete and submit your application.

Applying by paper form

If you are unable to apply online, download our application and reference form. You can post or email a scanned copy to the Admissions Service when completed. However, we would encourage you to apply online where possible.

Applying for MA Social Work

Applications for this course can be made through UCAS. The University of Hull's institution code is H72. Full instructions can be found on the UCAS website.

Applying for a Postgraduate Certificate in Education

Applications for the Primary and Secondary Postgraduate Certificate in Education courses are made through UCAS Teacher Training (UTT). Further information is available from the UTT website.


If you have been asked for references, they must be on a University of Hull reference form or company letter-headed paper with an official stamp. References from family or friends are not accepted.


You can apply for a postgraduate course at any time and there are no specific deadlines. However, to guarantee a consideration for September entry, you should apply by 1 August. If you require a Tier 4 student visa, you need to allow enough time to process your application. Later applications may be considered or offered entry to the next intake.

Start dates

The majority of our Postgraduate Taught programmes have a start date in September only:

28 September 2015
26 September 2016

If you are applying for a PhD, the following start dates are available in addition to the September starts shown above:

7 December 2015
1 February 2016
7 March 2016 (not Business School applicants)
4 April 2016
6 June 2016 (not Business School applicants)
4 July 2016 (not Business School applicants)
1 August 2016

Postgraduate research applicants

You will need to provide a research proposal as part of your application. To help you write this, read the research proposal section on the next page and also look at the academic departments’ webpages to find out if the topic you are interested in is available at Hull. We also recommend that you review our academics’ profile pages to get an idea of their research expertise.

Studying part-time
Most academic areas can consider applications for research on a part-time basis. Some will consider overseas students who for good reason (usually continuation of employment) are unable to come to Hull for full-time research but who have appropriate facilities in their home country to work towards a thesis on a part-time basis.


If you would like to request deferral of your entry to the next available start date, you must request this in writing to the Admissions Service, who will then contact the academic department. You will be informed of the decision (usually by issue of a revised offer letter in due course). Deferrals are normally only allowed if requested up to six weeks after the initial start date. After this, you may need to re-apply.

Research proposal

Writing a convincing and well argued research proposal is an essential part of being accepted for a research degree. It meets several purposes:

  1. It helps you to clarify your own ideas on what you want to do and what your priorities are.
  2. It enables the department to which you have applied to decide whether or not it has the expertise to supervise you, and, if it does, to identify appropriate supervisors. It also enables us to discuss with you any changes which we might wish to suggest so that we are able to supervise it more appropriately. We recognise that in Science-based areas the research proposal may already be determined by a departmental research team or the supervisor in the context of a funded research project. In these cases, many of the guidelines presented here may not apply.
  3. At an early stage it allows potential supervisors and other members of the department to ask questions about content, approach, values and methodology before you embark on the study and to determine the facilities required for the research.
  4. It allows potential problems to be identified at this preliminary stage and to be resolved before you progress.

Normally, your proposal should be up to about 1000 words long (or up to 3-4 sides of A4), but it is advisable to check this with your chosen department as it may vary. Within it, you should ensure:

  • that the title indicates the field, scope and topic of the proposed study
  • that you can indicate an awareness of some of the significant literature in your chosen field or whether there is very little, if any, relevant literature in this field
  • that you formulate clearly the research question, problem or issue that you wish to address and indicate how it might contribute to the advancement of knowledge and scholarship in this field: in other words, you have to state why you think your proposed research is important and how you might make an original contribution to knowledge
  • that you provide an account of the kind of research methods you feel are appropriate to such a study (i.e. questionnaire, interviews, participant observation, archival and library research, laboratory work, team-based research etc.), and the balance between these
  • that you provide enough information on yourself and the topic to show how the study fits with your past or present experience, your concerns and interests, and, if appropriate, the concerns of your current employer or organisation
  • that you have already ascertained that the individuals, data sources and organisations that will be critical to your study will be accessible to you.


Provide evidence in your proposal of:

  • Appropriateness of title
  • Literature appreciation
  • A carefully framed research question or problem
  • Research methods
  • Suitability to personal situation and experience
  • Accessibility of information sources

If these are properly covered in your proposal, we will be able to provide you with a more helpful, accurate and quick response to your application.

Get help

If you have any questions about how to apply to the University of Hull or would like to speak to someone about your application, get in touch with us so that we can assist you. You can contact us by email, phone or online chat. We are always happy to help.

Postgraduate admissions questions
+44 (0)1482 466850

Questions about applying for a Postgraduate Certificate in Education
+44 (0)1482 465974

Questions about applying for an MA Social Work
+44 (0)1482 465803

International students contact
+44 (0)1482 466904

What happens next

You will receive an acknowledgement of receipt of your application by email. Your application will be considered by the academic department, and the Admissions Service will write to you with a decision. Any offer made may be conditional, for example, on achievement of a certain grade in the course you are currently studying. All conditions must be satisfied before registration with the University.

Please follow the instructions on the application and provide all additional information such as proof of qualifications; this will help to avoid unnecessary delays in processing your application.


Visa applicants

If you need a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK we recommend that you apply at least three months before your course start date to allow the minimum time to complete the University and Home Office Tier 4 visa processes. In most cases the Tier 4 process takes at least three to four weeks.

We cannot sponsor a Tier 4 visa for part-time study. If you would like to study part-time you must have a visa or immigration status that permits you to study and that the University finds acceptable. Further information about Tier 4 student visas can be found in the Frequently Asked Questions page and on the International student pages.

English language proficiency

If you need a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK and/or your first language is not English, you will need to show evidence of your English language level. Check our English language requirements page to find out the range of qualifications we accept and the level you will be required to achieve. Some postgraduate programmes have higher English language requirements.

If you do not meet our English language requirements you can do one of our English language courses before the start of your degree. Depending on your level of English, you can take a 4, 9 or 12 month pre-sessional UHELP course. Alternatively, if you just need to brush up your English, we offer a short 4 or 8 week summer study programme.

ATAS certificate

If you have applied for a science and technology programme, you may need to apply for an ATAS certificate. Your offer letter will say if you need one. See our ATAS Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.

Tuition fee deposit

All international students undertaking a foundation programme, a taught/research Masters or a PhD are required to pay a tuition fee deposit of £2000. The Tier 4 CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) will only be issued once the required deposit amount has been received. This may take 5 working days depending on the time of year.

If your studies are funded by a University approved financial sponsor, you will not need to pay the above deposit, provided that you have submitted the appropriate financial guarantee evidence.

Apart from the required tuition deposit, paying tuition fees to the University in advance is not a requirement of the visa process. Students who choose to pay any additional fees to the University in advance need to ensure that the payment is reflected in their CAS statement.

If you are sponsored, please send your sponsorship letter to the Finance Office by email ( so that our team can confirm whether or not you are exempt.

Students who are currently studying an undergraduate course at the University of Hull and apply for a postgraduate course are not required to pay the deposit.

Back to top