Money Matters

Frequently Asked Questions

Student finance can be confusing, but we're here to help. If you don't find the answer to your query below, contact us.

What is 'residual household income'?

Residual Household Income is calculated as follows:

Gross taxable income of parent(s)*, minus any private pension contributions, professional or employment-related expenditure on which tax relief can be claimed, plus £1130 for each dependent child other than the student. Plus any unearned income the student will have while on the course.

* If parents are separated or divorced, it is the income of the parent the student normally lives with that will be counted. If that parent has remarried or lives with a partner, the income of the parent and their new spouse or partner will be counted.

Do I need to apply for student finance every year?

Yes, you must apply again for each year of study.

Are my fees waived for my year abroad?

Please contact your department for details.

Can I have a receipt/confirmation that I have paid my fees?

For a receipt, please email with the following information:

  • Student's name and UCAS number/applicant code
  • Date you made the payment;
  • How you made the payment;
  • Sort code and account number if applicable;
  • Any other reference you might have.

Please bear in mind that it can take up to 10 working days for your money to be transferred to the university from abroad.

What do I need to bring with me to registration?

You will need to bring a method of payment. If you will be in receipt of a Tuition Fee Loan, please bring your Assessment letter from Student Finance England. If you are being sponsored, sponsor letters should be sent six weeks in advance of registration.

When/how do I pay my fees?

You can pay via the online payment system. If you cannot pay online, call 01482 466296 to pay over the phone. Further information on paying your fees can be found here.

How do I apply for the University of Hull Studentship/Excellence Scholarship?

When you apply to Student Finance England there is a question asking whether you are happy for your information to be shared with the university. If you leave this box ticked you will automatically be considered for the University of Hull Studentship and Excellence Scholarship. If you have unticked this box in error please contact Student Finance England.

Please note, you do not need to apply directly to the University for the University of Hull Studentship or Excellence Scholarship.

How do I apply for the University of Hull Merit Scholarship/Achievement Scholarship?

You don't need to apply for either of these awards, we assess all undergraduate entrants for them automatically.

I'm eligible for more than one award, will I receive all of them?

No, you can only receive one of the awards we offer, but you do receive the highest value award that you are entitled to.

When do I get my student loan?

Your loan is usually paid in three instalments, one at the start of each term, directly into your bank account. Student Finance England will issue a payment schedule letter to you, which will explain the amount you will receive and when.

What happens if I don’t get my loan in time?

You will still be able to register but will be required to provide proof of your loan to the University by mid-November (otherwise you will default to self-financing).

If you do not receive your maintenance loan at the start of term you may be eligible to apply for a short term loan from the University of Hull.

Proof of financial support won't reach me in time to take to registration – what do I do?

You will still be able to register but will need to provide proof of your financial support to the University by mid-November (otherwise you will default to self-financing).

Who do I address cheques to?

The University of Hull

Can I get additional financial help through the Hardship Fund?

Yes, for further information please visit Loans and Hardship.

Will the fees be different for me if I want to study for a qualification that is equivalent to or lower than one I already have?

No, you will be charged the standard tuition fee for the programme. However, your entitlement to public funding will be different . You will also not be eligible for fee waivers.

Back to top