Money Matters

Changes to Funding for Nursing, Midwifery and ODP Students from 2017/18

What’s changing?

Following the changes to funding for nursing, midwifery and allied health professional pre-registration courses set out by the Government in 2015, students are now eligible to apply for loans from Student Finance England, just like students on most other courses.

Student loans: know the facts

  • You only start paying back your loan when you earn more than £21k, and you pay 9% of any income above that threshold.
  • So, if you started on a Band 5 NHS salary of £21.7k you would repay £5.25 per month.
  • If your income drops below £21k you stop having to repay the loan, this could be particularly significant for part-time employment.
  • If the loan isn't repaid within 30 years, the outstanding amount is written off.
  • The money is deducted automatically from your pay so you don’t have to worry about missing any repayments.

What maintenance support will I get under the loans system?

You will be eligible for a Maintenance Loan that will give you around 25% more money to live on while you're studying than under the previous grants system. The standard maintenance loan is up to £8,430 per year, or up to £9,609 if you are receiving means-tested benefits. This is means-tested, so the amount you receive will depend on your household income. You can use the Student Finance England calculator to check how much you'll receive.

On top of this is an extra amount given to students on courses which are longer than the average academic course, which includes Nursing, Midwifery, and ODP courses. Again this is means-tested, so if your household income is less than £39,796 you will receive the maximum amount of loan courses loan. This is added to your maintenance loan, so you could receive up to £10,410 per year in total, or £11,319 if you are receiving means-tested benefits (in addition to your benefits).

What help can I get with childcare, or other costs associated with having children?

There are three separate grants that you can apply for to help you with the extra costs associated with having children. Any money you get is paid on top of your student finance and you don’t have to pay it back.

Childcare Grant

Full-time higher education students with children can apply for a means-tested Childcare Grant to cover up to 85% of their childcare costs. The maximum you can claim is:

  • up to £159.59 per week for 1 child
  • up to £273.60 per week for 2 or more children

The grant helps with childcare costs for children under 15, or under 17 if they have special educational needs. You must be eligible for student finance to apply for a Childcare Grant.

Parents' Learning Allowance

Full-time students with children can also get up to £1,617 per year to help with their learning costs. The amount that you receive will depend upon your household income, but unlike the Childcare Grant you do not need to be paying for childcare to qualify.

Child Dependants Allowance

In addition to the two above grants offered by Student Finance England, the NHS will also be making available an extra £1,000 per year to students with child dependents.

What help will the university give me?

The University of Hull offers three different financial awards to our first year undergraduate students. You will receive just one award; the highest value award that you are eligible for. Use our quick guide to check which you might be entitled to, then click on the name of the award for full details:

  Studentship Merit
Achievement Scholarship
Value  £1,000 £2,000 £2,000 in first year, £1,000 each in second and third years
Length of award First year only First year only Three years
(Click award title for full criteria)
Household income of less than £25,000 per year 120 UCAS Tariff Points* from three A Levels or equivalent (not including General Studies) 152 UCAS Tariff Points* from three A Levels or equivalent (not including General Studies)

* This relates to the new UCAS Tariff Points system which will be used from 1 September 2017.

What happens if I’ve already got a student loan?

It’s not usually possible for students who already have loans from a first degree to access student loans for a second degree, but the Government has said that it is making these courses exempt from this rule, meaning that you can access a second set of loans. The 9% repayment over the £21,000 earnings threshold applies even if you’ve got more than one set of loans, so if you take out loans for two degrees you will still pay back 9% of your earnings above £21,000, not 18%.

Back to top