Student Recruitment Events

Parents Guide

Going to University can be an exciting but daunting prospect - not only for the student, but also for the parents and carers who are involved in the decision making process.

Here at the University of Hull we fully understand this and hope the following will help provide you with all the information that you need.


Your child's time at university is about more than just lectures and tutorials. Where they live and who they live with is just as important. This is why we advise first-year students to live in University accommodation.

For a full list and further information about the accommodation available please visit

We also have a University of Hull Accommodation Guarantee:

All un-accompanied new students who apply for Accommodation by 1 September 2014 are guaranteed an offer of a place in University owned, managed or directed accommodation.

How do they apply?

If they have accepted their offer at Hull, they will be sent further information in May about how to apply for their accommodation.

Is there anything they need to consider when they are applying?

When they are choosing what accommodation to apply for, it is important to take the following into account:

When do they prefer to go to sleep/wake up?

Do they mix with large groups of people?

Can they share space with other people?

Do they have any disabilities/additional needs?

Do they have specific dietary requirements?

Are they a social or quiet person?

What happens after they have applied?

After they apply, you will be required to pay a deposit of £150. This will then be transferred to your residence account and held as damage deposition until the end of the residence contract.

What if Hull is their Insurance Choice?

If they have chosen Hull as their insurance choice - their application for accommodation will be accepted when the applications open but it will not be processed until Hull becomes their firm choice and they have received an offer of accommodation.

Once the Accommodation Office have received their completed form and deposit, and your accommodation has been allocated, you will be sent (by email or post) your contract and additional information about how to pay and also when to arrive.

What if they don't want to live in University accommodation?

Private sector accommodation is relatively cheap and there is lots available. NEED A LINK HERE


Often the biggest question about University is how much this is all going to cost? The cost of being a student can be split into two sections: Tuition Fees & Living Costs

When should they apply for finance?

We would advise that your son or daughter applies to the relevant Student finance body (England, Ireland, Wales or Scotland) as soon as possible to ensure that they will receive their loan in time for the start of the academic year.

What if they haven't applied when they start their course?

They can still apply for their loan up to nine months after the start of the academic year.

What if they haven't received their loan/grant by the start of their course?

They can still register but they will need to provide official documentation from Student Finance to confirm that they are waiting for payment.

Are there any other types of financial help available?

Yes - at the University of Hull, there are a number of Scholarships and Bursaries available. For more information, please visit LINK TO MONEY MATTERS WEBSITE

Is their anyone to help them on campus if they are struggling financially?

Yes. If they have any general enquiries or worries relating to money, the Advice Centre in the Students Union provides guidance and information on a wide range of issues. In cases of extreme hardship, financial support is available through the Access to Learning Fund - details can be obtained from the Student Loans and Hardship Office.

Part-Time Work

Many students work part-time to supplement their income. The Job Shop (which is based in the Students' Union) caters specifically for students looking for part-time work. There are also a number of people in and around the university who are able to offer students part-time work to fit in around their studies.

A Day in the Life...

Although the University is an educational establishment, new students will find that the environment differs from school/sixth form college. It provides an open, public, supportive environment where each individual is treated like an adult.

Every students' day is different depending on the course that they have chosen to study and any extra curricular activities they choose to get involved in, but a typical day may include:


Seminars (smaller working groups)

Laboratory Work

Practical Sessions and Workshops

Your son/daughter will also spend time studying independently, or in a group to explore the areas covered in lectures and seminars.

Self Discipline in Studies

To succeed in their studies, it is important that each student is responsible for and self-disciplined in their studies and is able to apply themselves accordingly. Although lectures are not obligatory, students are advised to attend as many as possible to ensure that they get the most out of their time here. Some programmes (especially those with professional training elements) do have mandatory attendance requirements.

Self Discipline in Life

For the majority of students, this will be the first time that they have lived away from home and there isn't anyone telling them 'what to do'. Although this may seem quite daunting for some, it is a very exciting and challenging time for them where they will gain invaluable 'life experience' on personal, professional and academic levels.

Data Protection

While the University will liaise directly with your son or daughter about their studies and any support they might need, we are able to contact you directly if we feel that this is a necessary course of action and you need to be informed about a particular situation.

Outside of the Classroom

Outside of lecturers, and tutorials - student are free to do whatever they like. Whether this would be independent study, or taking part in numerous social and sporting events that happen on campus. The Hull campus is compact and friendly, with a number of catering outlets, social areas and student spaces.

Students Union - Need to add in information here about this.

Support - should they need it

Knowing that your son or daughter has settled into university life and adapted to their new environment will give you great peace of mind. However, if any problems should arise, there is an extensive network of support services available to help them.

University Accommodation

While your son or daughter is in University accommodation, wardens and tutors are available to offer support when necessary.

Each Hall of Residence has a live in warden who is available to offer discreet practical or emotional support for students. The majority of wardens are trained members of University staff, supported by a deputy who is usually a postgraduate or a final year student.

Each Student House is assigned a tutor, who is non residential but makes regular visits and are on hand to help with any problems.

Academic Personal Supervisor

Each student is also allocated a personal supervisor within their department who is able to offer academic or personal guidance and support. Supervisors are assigned to students once they have registered.

Additionally the Union endeavours to meet every welfare need. Student Support Services available within the union include:

Advice Centre - a student version of the Citizens Advice Bureau

Student Loans and Hardship Office

Disability Services

Careers Service

Job Exchange

Student Wellbeing

Last but not least, the Study Skills Team (located in the Library) can help students to hone their academic skills, from revision techniques to grammar and punctuation.

Our vast array of support services ensure that, during their time at University, your son or daughter always have somewhere to go for any guidance and advice they may need, on academic matters as well as health, disabilities, money, housing....the list is endless.

Back to top